Archive for October, 2009

Elmcity Meeting Notes

October 7, 2009

Nikita, Jory, and I had a quick meeting today, Wednesday, at 6:30. That looks like a good time for everyone but Diane, we’ll have to figure out a way to better include her.

Highlights:

Nikita and Jory are working on making the site as a RESTful service.

Diane is researching natural language processing as applied to generalizing the scraper.

I’ll be working on making what we have a little more user-friendly. That starts with documentation, but I’ll be blogging about other ideas for making the service accessible to less technical users in the near future. It’s a worthwhile conversation to have early, so throw out some ideas on FriendFeed if you’ve got ’em.

We’re debating whether to try to entirely separate the backround application and database from the web front end – now Django, but we’d presumably switch to a thinner one if we made the switch. Nikita will post a proposal on ReviewBoard to kick off the conversation.

[6:35:23 PM] *** Jory Graham added nikita.pchelin, sarah-strong ***
[6:36:07 PM] Jory Graham: Hey both of you.
[6:36:50 PM] Nikita Pchelin: âllo!
[6:37:05 PM] sarah-strong: hey
[6:37:32 PM] Nikita Pchelin: and we are missing two other people =( but then again, they kinda did not respond to the email
[6:37:37 PM] sarah-strong: i’m not at home and having mic trouble, but i can listen in or just chat by text
[6:37:55 PM] Jory Graham: So far I think I’ve only used skype for text.
[6:38:05 PM] sarah-strong: heh, alright
[6:38:20 PM] Nikita Pchelin: text is fine
[6:38:29 PM] Jory Graham: Also, this should be an okay time for everyone, since it is basically the time we decided on the Sunday when Diane wasn’t there.
[6:39:22 PM] sarah-strong: so, i’ve been putting this project on the back burner but i’ve been keeping up with friendfeed traffic. you guys are both concentrating on db modifications and programmatic access friendliness?
[6:39:33 PM] Nikita Pchelin: yes
[6:39:45 PM] Jory Graham: Yep. Basically allowing it to be used as a service.
[6:39:50 PM] Nikita Pchelin: actually Jory creates an abstract layer for the db and changes the db itself
[6:39:58 PM] Nikita Pchelin: i am concentrating on the actual communication part
[6:40:09 PM] Nikita Pchelin: diane was working on the AI aspect
[6:40:16 PM] sarah-strong: cool.
[6:40:37 PM] Nikita Pchelin: and that’s all I know, I am not sure who is doing what apart from the abovementioned
[6:41:16 PM] Jory Graham: Meghan had a post about writing unit tests, but it wasn’t aggregated into the dev room.
[6:41:29 PM] sarah-strong: ok. still need: interim/incremental/

alternative solutions for the parsing problem, but that could wait until diane gets back with her feasibility results, maybe?
[6:41:38 PM] Nikita Pchelin: oh right, I vaguely remember that
[6:41:51 PM] Nikita Pchelin: yes and no
[6:41:54 PM] sarah-strong: oh? i’ll add her blog to my feed
[6:42:09 PM] Jory Graham: Parsing is definitely a longer term piece.
[6:42:14 PM] Nikita Pchelin: to be quite honest I am not sure how much FuseCal was AI-fied
[6:42:14 PM] Jory Graham: But trying to find the general patterns is a good step in the right direction.
[6:43:06 PM] sarah-strong: totally. and to find general patterns, having a few more site-secific parsers could help.
[6:43:42 PM] Nikita Pchelin: alright then
[6:43:47 PM] Nikita Pchelin: the other big topic is documentation
[6:44:24 PM] Nikita Pchelin: how are we going to maintain that? do we want a little wiki page on the site?
[6:44:34 PM] sarah-strong: i’d like to do a bit of research on the users semantically marking up a page and translating that into a plugin problem, if only because four developers i’ve mentioned it to claim they’ve seen something like it, but can’t remember what exactly it was
[6:45:08 PM] Jory Graham: Did you check out Autopager?
[6:46:35 PM] sarah-strong: ah! you were one of them, i didn’t remember who mentioned that. no, i didn’t have the proper name for it. i’ll look into it and post about it by friday
[6:47:03 PM] Jory Graham: Cool. It’s definitely related in concept, if not in execution.
[6:47:57 PM] sarah-strong: i’d actually like to start in on making what we have understandable to people outside our team this week. i’ll try to put together a blog post with basically what we would need so that someone with a myspace band could stumble across our site and use it without further explanation
[6:48:26 PM] sarah-strong: start with super general documentation (wtf is ics, how do i use this file)
[6:48:54 PM] sarah-strong: then a lighter bit of documentation on how to use the current version
[6:49:16 PM] Nikita Pchelin: right, my suggestion would be, that you would also want to add to the documentation page of the website (or maybe just in docs folder in src, so it’s all in one place)?
[6:49:42 PM] Jory Graham: Agreed.
[6:50:01 PM] Jory Graham: Also, maybe eventually it could be destined for a wiki, but for now we’ll be the only people writing it, so flat files are probably fine.
[6:50:04 PM] sarah-strong: then look into feasibility of extra stuff like fuzzy url matching or site-specific search bars to do myspace band page –> all dates, for instance
[6:50:36 PM] Nikita Pchelin: okey, flat files it is then
[6:50:54 PM] Nikita Pchelin: I am just writing Michael so that we can get a mirror page running
[6:51:03 PM] Nikita Pchelin: the one will be for the developing
[6:51:13 PM] Nikita Pchelin: the other one will be for testing )
[6:51:40 PM] Nikita Pchelin: I talked to Jory about it the other day, it seems to be a good idea, because adding new features often breakes the front end
[6:52:02 PM] sarah-strong: stable/dev branches? it’s a very good thought, we’ll have to get in much better communication with the greoup when we implement it
[6:52:11 PM] Jory Graham: Indeed. I think he’s out of the office for most of this week, but he should be able to get something up fairly soon.
[6:53:13 PM] sarah-strong: jory, since you’re more comfortable with hg, could you maybe decide on how that’ll work?
[6:53:29 PM] Nikita Pchelin: oh yes that’s a good question
[6:53:36 PM] Nikita Pchelin: I meant to talk to you about it
[6:53:39 PM] Jory Graham: I don’t think it’s necessarily a matter of branches, so much as deciding which releases count as stable.
[6:53:52 PM] Nikita Pchelin: I had an idea
[6:54:03 PM] Nikita Pchelin: of separating frontend into a separate directory
[6:54:13 PM] Nikita Pchelin: sorry  separate repo*
[6:54:21 PM] sarah-strong: cool, that’s the simplest way i could think of, but again, i’m not so versed in dvc
[6:54:25 PM] Nikita Pchelin: because what happens now on the server is
[6:54:40 PM] Nikita Pchelin: we have a frontend folder, which is apache’s rooy direcotry
[6:54:59 PM] Nikita Pchelin: and then within this folder we have ./src directory which has all code
[6:55:14 PM] Nikita Pchelin: including the frontend (yes, it’s almost recursive!)
[6:55:22 PM] Nikita Pchelin: which is kinda ugly
[6:55:55 PM] sarah-strong: separate repos is way more ugly imo. Is there a utility hit to keeping it as is?
[6:56:42 PM] sarah-strong: since that’d mean keeping two repos synced and making sure to update each at once, which should be simple but since we haven’t settled on structure would probably get mucked up fast
[6:56:55 PM] Nikita Pchelin: no well
[6:57:18 PM] Nikita Pchelin: you dont have to keep them synced
[6:57:40 PM] Nikita Pchelin: two repos won’t have any shared files
[6:57:41 PM] Nikita Pchelin: we are just separating fronend (django) from the rest of the system
[6:58:03 PM] Jory Graham: But there’s shared knowledge between them. Django related stuff still needs to know which methods need to be called, etc.
[6:58:15 PM] sarah-strong: synced in that undergraduate coders will likely introduce unfortunate dependencies between the two repos as we radically change plans as we go
[6:59:12 PM] sarah-strong: on the other hand, if we have great confidence in our ability to do this welll, separating them would encourage good encapsulation
[6:59:24 PM] sarah-strong: i.. don’t 😛
[6:59:40 PM] Nikita Pchelin: lol 😀
[7:00:10 PM] Jory Graham: Regardless of which web technology we implement our service on, the fact that there’s a web frontend is fairly core to the project.
[7:00:10 PM] Nikita Pchelin: well I am just throwing it out there, let’s think about it
[7:00:28 PM] Nikita Pchelin: that’s true
[7:00:38 PM] Nikita Pchelin: but we ideally
[7:00:47 PM] Nikita Pchelin: the service should work as a service
[7:00:53 PM] Nikita Pchelin: once we have a protocol
[7:01:22 PM] Nikita Pchelin: if let’s say we strip the project off it’s frontend, we can still add a 10lines wsgi script to serve out pluginFinder through the web
[7:01:58 PM] Jory Graham: I’d still call that a web frontend.
[7:02:08 PM] Jory Graham: Not necessarily a pretty one, but I think it still fits the bill.
[7:02:28 PM] Nikita Pchelin: true
[7:02:48 PM] Nikita Pchelin: but the question is if we want to be dependent on django as our friend
[7:03:55 PM] Nikita Pchelin: for example, I did not use django database models in my python code, because doing that assumed that any setup of the project has to use django as its frontend, as opposed to be using a mysql database with any sort of frontend technology, like wsgi in the simpliest case
[7:03:56 PM] sarah-strong: ok, i’ve got a thought. This seems like a big, integral to the project debate, and one that reviewboard is designed to mediate well
[7:04:13 PM] Jory Graham: True. Plus we haven’t used it at all yet.
[7:04:35 PM] Nikita Pchelin: alright, then we can talk about it there, I’ll post
[7:04:52 PM] sarah-strong: maybe we should try this discussion on there? it’s apparently good for UMLish diagrams with modifications and comments
[7:05:05 PM] Nikita Pchelin: Is there anything else we want to discuss, or can we adjourn the meeting?
[7:05:09 PM] sarah-strong: if i understood meghan correctly
[7:05:34 PM] Nikita Pchelin: yep we’ll talk there
[7:05:39 PM] sarah-strong: i’m fine with adjournment
[7:05:56 PM] Jory Graham: Cool. Well it sounds like we all know what we should do for the rest of the week.
[7:06:03 PM] sarah-strong: nikita: could you post to friendfeed when you’ve posted to reviewboard (unless it has internal syndication?)
[7:06:03 PM] Nikita Pchelin: awesome
[7:06:20 PM] Nikita Pchelin: talk to you later; in an asynchronous way! 😀
[7:06:30 PM] Jory Graham: Even if it has syndication, I doubt it’s been added to the room yet.
[7:06:35 PM] sarah-strong: oh, i can post the transcript and a quick synopsis if that’s ok with you two
[7:06:43 PM] Jory Graham: But of course.
[7:06:46 PM] Nikita Pchelin: yep
[7:06:50 PM] Jory Graham: One last thing, a light note/
[7:07:07 PM] Jory Graham: There was a joke on The Big Bang theory on monday night about iCal syndication.
[7:07:20 PM] sarah-strong: we’ve hit the big time, guys
[7:07:22 PM] Jory Graham: And if your technology has made it to a prime-time show, that’s always a good sign.
[7:07:23 PM] sarah-strong: group hug!
[7:07:33 PM] Nikita Pchelin: aah I have to watch it, I missed a couple of episodes
[7:08:25 PM] Jory Graham: Alright, well talk to you both later.
Advertisements